Something for the relatively older folks on here (young folks could equally benefit)
5 tips on how to prevent loss of muscle mass and associated strength with age:
1) Exercise, specifically resistance training. Both men and women. The deeper I delve into this subject and whenever I look at research, the more the importance of weight training is confirmed.
2) Opt for at least 1kg/kg of bodyweight of protein intake per day. That’s 0.5gr/lb.
3) Get adequate vitamin D, either from sunlight or supplemented if you’re lacking from exposure to the sun. I can’t recommend the importance of vitamin D enough.
4) Balance intake of acid-producing nutrients with alkalising fruits and vegetables. This is something often overlooked yet I incorporate this in virtually every single one of my meals.
5) Emerging evidence suggests adequate vitamin B12 and folic acid intake to improve muscle function too.