– Lie face-up on a flat bench with your feet. Your body should be fully supported from your hips up to your entire head.
– Have a partner hand you an EZ-bar and grasp it with an overhand grip. Be sure to wrap your thumbs around the bar for safety.
– With your arms extended hold the bar at a 45 degree angle above your head, back towards your spotter. Lock your upper arms in this angled position for the duration of the set.
– Keeping your upper arms positioned at the 45 degree angle throughout the set, unlock your elbow as you slowly lower the bar towards the top of your head. The only movement should occur at your elbows. Control the descent of the bar so that it doesn’t hit you on the head.
– When you reach a 90 degree angle in your elbows or the bar is just an inch or so away from the top of your head, pause for a moment in this stretched position.
– Contract your triceps to forcefully extend your arms, pressing the bar back to the starting position. Be careful not to move your upper arms forward as you raise the weight.
You should perform 3-4 sets of 8-12 repetitions.
With the arms positioned at a 45 degree angle, you have to work harder to maintain your arm position than when they are directly perpendicular to your body.
The 45 degree EZ-bar skullcrusher can be done early in the workout with a heavy weight after a thorough warm-up. You can follow the skullcrusher with pressdowns, reverse-grip pressdowns, kickbacks and dips to fully exhaust your triceps.