Homemade English muffins at their best.
Preparation: 30 minutes
Serves: 12 serving
Energy: 131 calories per serving
– ¾ tsp salt
– ½ tsp sugar
– 1 tbsp dry yeast
– 1 cup whole wheat flour
– ½ cup milk
– 2 tbsps butter
– ½ cup water
– 2 tbsps honey
– 1 ½ cups bread flour
1) Warm water to 110°F (45°C). Add yeast and sugar, stir to dissolve, and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
2) In a large mixer, combine yeast mixture, honey, milk and melted butter. Add 1 cup wheat flour and ½ cup bread flour. Stir vigorously for 2 minutes.
3) Switch to dough hook (or hand knead), add remaining flour and knead until soft pliable dough is formed. You may need to add up to an additional half cup of flour depending on humidity and weather.
4) Place in a greased bowl, cover with damp towel, and set to rise for 1 hour. Carefully remove dough from bowl – do not punch down, and roll to ½” thickness. Cut with 3” cutter.
5) Generously sprinkle cornmeal on ungreased baking sheets. Cover with wax paper and set o rise and additional 30-45”.
6) Preheat griddle to 325°F (160°C). Sprinkle griddle with more cornmeal.
7) Toast on griddle approximately 8-12 minutes, each side, or until golden brown. Let cool on rack. Split with fork when ready to toast.