Fats are a great secondary energy source in addition to carbs. Healthy fats help regulate hormones (increased testosterone levels and increased growth hormone levels) and provide support to the cardiovascular, reproductive, immune and nervous system and decreased levels bodyfat. The key is to eat them in quantities that balance out the other macronutrients. Healthy fats should be obtained from various sources, such as salmon, fish oils, egg-yolks, olive oil and nuts.
These balls can rich in protein, healthy fats and fibre which makes them just as satisfying as any treat without punishing your physique.
Preparation time: 45 minutes
Serves: 15 balls
Energy: 232 calories
– 6 scoops chocolate whey protein
– 240g quick oats
– 15 dried plums (pitted), cut in small pieces
– 65g raw cashews, crushed
– 2tbsp raw cacao powder
– 1/2 tsp cinnamon
– 1 tbsp coconut oil
– 175ml semi-skimmed milk
– 1 tbsp honey
– 130g natural peanut butter
– 40g shredded coconut
1) Place all the dry ingredients in a large bowl (except the shredded coconut).
2) Melt the coconut oil in the microwave until liquid. Add this to the dry ingredients and mix well.
3) Add the milk, honey, and the natural peanut butter. Keep mixing the batter until all the ingredients are evenly blended (the mix will be sticky).
4) Scoop some of the mixture with a tablespoon and form little balls with your hands. You should have 15 approximately.
5) Roll each ball in the shredded coconut.
6) Place the balls on a plate and refrigerate for 10-45 minutes depending on desired texture.